Table of Contents
What is a 55+ Community?
More often than not, when someone hears or thinks of a senior living community, they see it as a place where people go when they can’t live on their own anymore and not a fun place to be. In reality, though, it’s quite the opposite. 55+ and active adult communities are becoming a mainstream space for adults to live and maintain independence while staying busy.
These communities are nearby everyday necessities like shopping plazas, movie theaters, restaurants, and hiking trails, so no more sitting around watching tv all day.
In addition to being close to the hustle of the town, the property also provides amenities to its residents.
Pros and Cons of a 55+ Community
While there are plenty of reasons to consider moving into an active 55+ community, here are the top four!
No More Maintenance
Maintaining your house always seems like a never-ending to-do list because when you think you checked your last item off the list, another one unexpectedly gets added. When you move into a retirement community, rather than having to do everything yourself: paint, mow your lawn, and keep your yard looking gorgeous, you get to relax.
Amenities are part of the culture of the 55+ communities, so if you decide to join, there will be plenty to do. There’s everything from swimming in the pool, sunbathing in the sun, hiking the local trails, playing pickleball, and enjoying the scheduled social events.
Memories and Friendships
It can be hard to relocate to a new space and start over, but there are so many adventures, new opportunities, and friendships here waiting for you!
Staying active is essential for your health. If you enjoy swimming, playing golf, practicing your tennis swing, or walking the nature trails, we promise you’ll find something you’ll enjoy.
As we mentioned above, there are so many benefits of living in a 55+ community, but not everyone will enjoy the lifestyle. Here are a few things to consider before making the transition.
Monthly or Quarterly HOAs
Depending on the community, your HOA will be due monthly or quarterly. While there are constant activities or events to do throughout the day, these aren’t free. Now, to help offset the cost, there is an HOA fee, and even when you own your place, you will have to continue paying your monthly or quarterly dues.
Smaller Living Spaces
If you’re going from a 3-bedroom home down to a 1-bedroom apartment or condo, you can feel overwhelmed and stressed during this downsizing process because you don’t know where to start.
Valencia Palms | Top-Rated Active Adult Community
- Amenities: Aerobics/dance studio, arts and craft studio, basketball court, billiards, bocce, a cafe, a room to play cards, common areas, fitness center, internet, locker rooms, pickleball, a resort-style pool, sports activity center, steam room, lakes to go fishing, and a tennis court.
The Valencia Palms has everything you want in a 55+ community: a beautiful landscape, fountains, a breathtaking view of the lake, and endless activities. As an award recipient from GL Homes’ series for properties throughout Valencia, you won’t be disappointed with calling this place home.
Valencia Palms, 6750 Summerland Blvd, Delray Beach, FL (561) 865-9575
Abbey Delray South | Modern Garden Homes
- Amenities: Utilities included, 24-hour security, pet-friendly, heated pool, spa, salon, putting green, arts and craft studio, recreational activities, weekly cleaning, and fitness center.
Here at Abbey Delray South, you will experience the luxury of the recent redesign while having the opportunity to live in a space that allows you to focus on yourself–no hassle and no maintenance.
Abbey Delray South, 1717 Homewood Blvd, Delray Beach, FL (561) 272-9600
Harbour’s Edge | Luxury Senior Living
- Amenities: Access to the Intracoastal water walkway, swimming pool, whirlpool spa, fitness center, salon, security, library, arts and crafts studio, cocktail lounge, performing arts center, pet-friendly, and breathtaking waterfront views.
While on this property, some living areas offer additional support like memory care and skilled nursing, most of the community allows you to live a luxurious and independent lifestyle.
Harbour’s Edge, 401 E Linton Blvd, Delray Beach, FL 33483 (561) 272-7979
Lakes of Delray | 55+ Condominium Community
- Amenities: Gated community with security, bingo, movies, classes, sport clubs, parties, olympic size pool, patio and lounge area, BBQ, card rooms, billiards, wifi, ceramic room, fitness center, library, shuffleboard courts, and ping pong (table tennis).
Located minutes from the beach, with 30 clubs, events, and shows, you can enjoy an active lifestyle at Lakes of Delray.
Delray Villas | Active Adult Villages
- Amenities: Swimming pool, tennis, pickle ball, bocce, shuffleboard, fitness center, billiard room, craft area, library, card room, horseshoe court, jacuzzi, clubs, and theater.
With over 1,000 properties on five different plats, there is a variety of single, duplex, and multi duplex villas for you to call home. Regardless of your choice, the Delray Villas Recreation Association has something for everyone.
Delray Villas, 13773 Circular Dr, Delray Beach, FL 33484 (561) 495-7212
Huntington Lakes, Inc | Gated-Community
- Amenities: Outside amenities like bocce, tennis courts, pickleball, racquetball, a clubhouse for the community, indoor pool, state-of-the-art gym, spa, sauna, card rooms, a theatre with 610 seats, and gender-designated locker rooms.
This breathtaking community focuses on getting outside, spending time in the sun, and staying active throughout the day. They offer plenty of activities that allow the residents to keep moving and busy. Located close to the I-95 and the turnpike, you can easily head into town or explore the surrounding areas.
Huntington Lakes, 7355 Huntington Ln, Delray Beach, FL 33446 (561) 498-0228
Verena at Delray | All-Inclusive Senior Living
- Amenities: Fitness center, pool, salon, walking trails, community garden, outdoor lounge, shopping, entertainment, library, computer room, creative studio, billiard rooms, open atriums, and many more social activities.
As an all-inclusive senior community, you will have everything at your fingertips to enjoy an active lifestyle. You will have the opportunity to choose from a wide variety of floor plans available based on your needs. The spaces can be as small as a studio and go up to a 3-bedroom apartment. If you’re looking for adventure, then Verena at Delray is the place for you!
Verena at Delray, 5624 Linton Blvd, Delray Beach, FL 33484 (561) 495-7111
Rainberry Bay | Active & Pet-Friendly 55+ Community
- Amenities: A clubhouse, theater with professional sound, five pools, four spas, tennis court, bocce, pickleball, security, gated community, sauna, steam room, fitness center, library, and card room.
As an affordable, active, and pet-friendly senior community with plenty to do, Rainberry Bay is a beautiful place to call home. You will be 3 miles away from the ocean, and if you love spending time outside, there is plenty of open space throughout the property to sit, have a picnic, and enjoy the breathtaking views.
Rainberry Bay, 2801 S Rainberry Cir, Delray Beach, FL 33445 (561) 272-6560
Deauville Village | Beautiful Landscape
- Amenities: Outdoor pool, hot tub, auditorium, gym, library, game room, movie nights, parties, women’s club, men’s club, and bbq area.
With 14 different buildings and 316 units, Deaville Village is one part of eight sections within the Villages of Oriole. They have apartments with one bedroom with two baths and two bedrooms with two baths. Enjoy the night outside with your large terrace.
Delray Beach 55+ Communities Map
Here is a map with the top 9 beautiful 55+ communities in Delray Beach, FL, you should consider living in.
Questions To Consider Before Moving
Finding the right place for you and your needs shouldn’t happen overnight. Take time to do your homework. And before making your final decision and signing on the dotted line, consider finding out the answers to these questions!
- What is the HOA? And is it monthly or quarterly?
- Does the community accept pets?
- What is the cost to live in this community in relation to my monthly retirement budget?
- Will I have the amenities that I want?
- Is it close to family? Can they come and visit?
- How far is it from the local medical facility (primary care physician, urgent care, or hospital)?
- On average, what is the climate throughout the year?
Are you considering a move into a 55+ community in Delray Beach, Florida using senior movers? Don’t hesitate to reach out. Our professional and reliable team of movers in Delray Beach here at Meehan’s Family Moving will help you with every step of the process. We have served 6,400+ happy customers throughout the years, and we’d love to help you too! Call us at (561) 904-6000 to receive a free estimate!